Regular readers have shared the history of developing a global network of social marketers.
In 2011, the International Social Marketing Association (iSMA) has been developing the promise to be the catalyst for a global infrastructure to serve social marketing practice, education, research and management.
The hard work of developing the legal and operational framework for the iSMA has been done by a small group who have volunteered their time and expertise to serve as founding board members. These people represent various parts of the world and are committed to crafting an organization that is dedicated to full representation of social marketers around the world in the common pursuit of advancing marketing approaches to the solution of social problems.
Our active Board members include:
- Tom Beall – USA
- Susan Dann – Australia
- Jeff French – England
- Jay Kassirer - Canada
- Nancy Lee – USA
- Craig Lefebvre - USA
- Christiane Lellig – Switzerland
- Robert Marshall – USA
- Win Morgan - USA
- Gael O’Sullivan – USA
- Barry Whittle – Guatemala
Our accomplishments to date include:
- Established the iSMA as a nonprofit, tax-exempt corporation in Maryland, USA.
- Created corporate identity for iSMA.
- Developed a fully functioning iSMA website with specialized sub groups and monthly member updates.
- Established Membership, Communication and Finance Committees.
- Secured an investment by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control to support their development of health communication and social marketing capacity for infectious disease control in the European Union.
- Representation and presentations at the World Social Marketing Conference and the USF Social Marketing conference.
- Liaison with the Australian Association of Social Marketing.
- Established the European Social Marketing Network with its first meeting held in London on the 25th November.
There are many elements of the association development process that are nearing completion and the Board intends to present to the full membership for comment, action and votes over the next 6 months including:
- Mission and Values Statements.
- Strategic Direction and Priorities for the next 3 years.
- A Board structure and process for nominations and election of officers.
- Guidance for establishing regional, national and local iSMA affiliate groups and the harmonization of these relationships.
On behalf of all the Board members, we are thankful for the many social marketers who have contributed money to support the development of the association over the past several years - especially our Founders. We have deposited these funds in an iSMA account and put financial controls in place to monitor and approve use of these monies to support iSMA activities. We are also appreciative for those members who are donating their time to serve on our committees and otherwise making contributions to the development of the association and the strengthening of the global network of social marketing.
We also want to thank the over 700 members of the Social Marketers Global Network, a member service of the iSMA for news, networking and collaboration. We value your trust in us, and each other, to make the commitment to participate in this journey to expand the effectiveness and impact of social marketing approaches to solve social problems in all their forms around the world. We intend to transform this network into an active, interesting and rewarding professional experience to support your social marketing work and career development. To fully particpate in the activities of the iSMA in 2012, including voting privileges, you will need to be a member.
If you have not already joined iSMA please take the step of becoming part of the growing global network. If you are a member please encourage at least one other person from you own professional network to join.
Standard membership is $49.95 USD or EUR 38.2 per year.
Student membership is $29.95 USD or EUR 22.94/year
Inagural membership for citizens of developing countries is $7.95 USD or EUR 6.06/2 years.
We look forward to having your support and commitment to social marketing in 2012!